banner

Friday, May 23, 2014

The Lazy Girls Gnocchi


Lately I've been having major gnocchi cravings, but I always find rolling the gnocchi a pain. I even have a pasta maker and was desperately hoping for a gnocchi. No such luck for me. Then I happened to come across a cleaver trick on Food and Wine, which I decided to give a shot. First time I used to suggested bakers twine with some sweet potato gnocchi dough. Either the baking twine was too thick, the dough was too moist, or I simple couldn't get the angle down the gnocchi came out "fun shaped." That didn't discourage my attempt at being able to make gnocchi without rolling. So the second time I tried out my lazy gnocchi recipe and tried the same technique, but with unflavored dental floss. While it was far more effective the steam caused the dental floss to lose its tension. So far the most effective method has been using fishing line of all things.

 The next key factor for me was finding an easy recipe to use and a resourceful thought popped into my head, "there's leftover mashed potatoes in the fridge maybe that will make good gnocchi." With that thought I managed to create easy delicious gnocchi from leftovers.

  Lazy Girls Gnocchi Recipe 
Serves about 2
2 egg yolks 
1 cup flour (may need a little more depending on mashed potato moisture) 
13oz leftover mashed potatoes (I used Simply Potatoes garlic mash)
  1. Place mashed potatoes in mixing bowl, slightly heat up if stiff. 
  2. Then add egg yolks and flour. Gently mix and add extra flour till dough is no longer sticky to the touch. Then place in gallon or pastry bag. 
  3. String your fishing line (twine or dental floss) across the handles of your shallow pasta pot and secure. Place water in a few inches below string. Bring water to boil.
  4. Once the water is boiling bring down to medium heat. Cut a hole in the tip of your bag. 
  5. Place the bag perpendicular and to the side of the string. Start pushing the dough out and cutting at the desired length on the string. Don't over crowd the pot. CATION: Be careful of the steam and any hot water that may splatter as the gnocchi drop. 
  6. Wait for the gnocchi to rise to the surface then pull out with a slotted spoon. Repeat steps 5 and 6 till all dough is gone. 
  7. Lastly top with gnocchi with something yummy. 

Topping wise for my gnocchi I like to toss them in a pan to get them a little crispy then add my favorite tomato sauce, spices, and cheese on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

http://www.etsy.com/people/TailsandSnouts